Sustainability and corporate social responsibility
CMS Hasche Sigle
Dr. Harald W. Potinecke
Nymphenburger Straße 12
T +49 711 9764-500
As an internationally active transmission grid operator, TransnetBW ensures an energy supply far beyond the German borders. As far as our corporate and social responsibilities are concerned, we draw our inspiration from the strengths of our home region in south-west Germany – in particular in terms of security and reliability. We insist on reliable processes in the company, fair dealings with employees and customers as well as compliance with legal requirements and our own internal regulations. When making our business decisions we consider our long- and short-term business interests and take equal account of economic, social and environmental aspects. We are committed to the responsible use of natural resources. Everyone has the task of assuming responsibility for the environment and working proactively to improve our environmental performance. For us, these values are fundamental and constitute the basis of our commitment to sustainability.
For business success
We have introduced an integrated risk management system to enable us to take advantage of economic opportunities and ensure our company’s long-term success. In line with regulatory requirements, we continuously monitor for potential risks such as market and commercial risks, as well as credit, process, environment and project-related risks. In particular, our Internal Control System (ICS) verifies key accounting processes and our independent internal auditors have a clear view, in particular, of the orderly functioning of our processes and the effectiveness of our established controls. Risk analyses, ICS and audit reports are communicated to the Executive and Supervisory Boards and disclosed to the statutory auditors.
The corporate culture in action:
TransnetBW’s compliance management system ensures conformity with statutory requirements and internal regulations at all times. The TransnetBW Code of Conduct describes the fundamental orientations guiding the enterprise and what it is that TransnetBW stands for. In it, TransnetBW states its commitment to responsible corporate governance, sets out its expectations as an employer and sets its standards for ethical business behaviour. A preventive compliance strategy embracing a wide range of measures supports everyone involved, enabling them to act irreproachably and represent the company appropriately in their activities within the company and, in particular, in their dealings with business partners.
TransnetBW has appointed lawyer Dr. Harald W. Potinecke from the law firm CMS Hasche Sigle as its ombudsman. He is the person that all employees, business partners and external third parties may turn to if they wish to report any irregularities in connection with our company, and in particular in the event of any suspicions relating to fraudulent activities. Serious observations help us to counter violations at an early stage and limit any possible damage.
Outstanding: Our environmental protection
When it comes to the question of environmental protection, we are indebted to our regional roots. Our aim is to reduce the impact of TransnetBW’s facilities and activities on natural habitats to an absolute minimum. To do this, we have introduced an environmental management system that complies with the European EMAS III standard and applies to all our locations, employees and contractors. Everyone in our company is required to show their commitment to the environment. We always welcome ideas.
We have developed and implemented a wealth of carefully targeted measures for the construction, planning and operation of our facilities. These include projects for
- Bird protection
- Soil and groundwater protection
- Prevention of emissions
- Creation of new habitats
We voluntarily submit to an annual audit to ensure that we continuously improve the TransnetBW environmental management system. With success: Since 2008, every area of our activity has been validated to ISO 14001 and since 2016 to EMAS III – proof of our effective, credible and transparent environmental protection.
Transnet BW environmentally aware:
How we protect habitats
The bird life in Baden-Württemberg is something we all love and cherish. Our close contacts with the authorities responsible for the protection of nature and with bird protection associations give us valuable information and ideas. This allows us to protect the bird life in the area covered by our grid.
- We only perform maintenance work on the TransnetBW facilities outside of the breeding season.
- We install nesting aids for protected species of birds such as little owls or peregrine falcons on suitable electricity towers.
- Special protective markings help migratory birds see power lines well before they arrive and thus avoid collisions.
Soil and groundwater protection
- The corrosion-proofing of towers for overhead lines is performed using only environmentally-compatible paints that do not impair the functions of the soil and groundwater.
- Facilities that work with oil, such as transformers, are equipped with oil-impermeable collection and protection equipment and are inspected regularly.
- Older electricity towers whose coatings may still contain pollutant substances are clad during cleaning so that these materials cannot enter the environment.
Prevention of emissions
- Working together with scientists, we have identified the causes of the typical noise emissions at extra-high voltage lines (crackling, rustling, buzzing) and have successfully reduced them in our new power lines using a process that is specific to TransnetBW.
- We perform regular inspections to ensure we comply with the statutory limit values for electrical and magnetic fields at our overhead lines, underground lines and transformer facilities.
Creation of new habitats
- Brush and grassed areas grow up in the cuttings that TransnetBW clears through the high forest for its power lines, thus creating new habitats for insects, reptiles and small mammals. In cooperation with environmental and forestry authorities, we maintain these power lines in accordance with ecological principles.
- We compensate for the impact of any new construction projects by creating biotopes and planting trees and hedges.